Friday, May 18, 2007

Motion Control - It's Not Just For The Wii Anymore


When Nintendo announced their motion sensitive controller, a lot of people called it an innovation. The jury's still out on that one. When Sony later announced that their PS3 controller was also motion sensitive, most people called it a ripoff. And they were right.

But the ripoffs don't stop there. At Sony's Gamer Day event, which took place this week, they announced many new games for the PS3. But the one that stole the show was High Velocity Bowling. Well, okay, not so much stole. What can I say, though - bowling is the one real sport I'm not terrible at. So, you're getting an article on it. Deal.

Anyway, what makes HVB stand out is its use of Sony's SixAxis controller. Essentially, it allows you to replicate the bowling motion, just as you do on the Wii. And you were wondering where the other ripoff was, weren't you? The game is basically a souped-up version of bowling from Wii Sports, complete with a claw machine minigame and scratch n' sniff nacho cheese case. At least, I hope so.

I guess its main claim to fame is that it looks better than Wii Sports. I generally like my bowlers to have arms and legs, but I'm weird that way. Have a look and judge for yourself:


No comments: