Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Tuesday Trainwreck - Not Nearly As Fantastic As You Hoped


I'm just going to come right out and say it - movie tie-in games suck. It started with the E.T. game for the Atari some 25 years ago, and until people stop shelling out their hard earned cash for this crap, it'll never end. That's what brings us to Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer:



Now you'll notice from the box art that I've singled out the Xbox 360 version of the game. I thought of making it more generic, since honestly, this Trainwreck applies to all versions, but I decided to leave it in to prove a point. Some people are going to buy this game because they're FF nuts, and there's nothing I can do about that. But, I may be able to stop them from shelling out a full $60 for this title, and instead convince them that parting with only $40 for the PS2 is somewhat less painful. For the rest - just avoid the game on all platforms.

Movie games are essentially doomed right from the beginning. They have less development time, the designers working on the game are usually not the pick of the litter, and the story is somewhat closed, since it usually has to relate to the movie in some way. Also, the game is usually designed from the most basic perspective possible, to make it easier to port to every console, portable, and cell phone on the market. All those factors add up to a game that just doesn't cut the mustard.

In all honesty, I'm not even sure why this movie was made. I'm a FF fan, no doubt, and I was excited about the first movie, but like most I considered it a letdown. As far as this sequel is concerned, I'll definitely see it, but I don't have high hopes. And if the movie is going to be bad, you can only imagine what kind of a disaster the game must be.

If you're going to spend money on anything relating to FF, go see the movie. The special effects should be outstanding - especially the Surfer - and Jessica Alba is a stone hottie. But even 360 graphics don't do her justice. Marvin and Tammi said it best - "Ain't nothing like the real thing".

No comments: