Friday, June 1, 2007

I Want My Wii Lightsaber!


As soon as the Wiimote was revealed, one word sprang into every sci-fi geeks mind - lightsaber. It was so obvious - if the controller can be held as a bat, or a tennis racket, then there's no reason it couldn't be held as a lightsaber. Hell, it's so obvious that they should have had a launch game for it. But for months now, we've heard the sound of silence on this topic, instead of the gentle hum of the Jedi weapon of choice.

Finally, it seems that someone is chiming in on the topic. In an article published over on Fin24, the head of LucasArts stated that "a Wii game that lets players wield virtual light sabers is on the horizon". All I can say is, it damn well better be.

There are no details on the game itself, so allow me to offer a few ideas. It should not be a "traditional" Star Wars game. I don't care about flying the Millennium Falcon with the Wiimote. I don't want to guide some no-name Jedi on a quest to find some crystals. This game should be a straight-up lightsaber fighting game, Mortal Kombat style. Include everyone who's ever used a lightsaber - Luke, Vader, Maul, Obi-Wan - and make them all playable. Make it tournament style, and include online multiplayer. And that's it. Do that, and you'll make a ton of money.

Please LucasArts, don't let us down like you have so many times in the past. Just make it good, and make it quick - my Wii is collecting dust faster than my PS3, and that thing is a dust magnet.

No comments: